Library of Congress 19th Century Virginia Maps

Note: The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.  Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.  (See LOC link for proper citation formats.)

1867 Map of Brunswick Co. Virginia

“Jed Hotchkiss, Top. Engineer” Staunton, VA, 1867.  Archived by Library of Congress, Division of Maps, July 8, 1948

Shows locations and names of communities, roads, streams, ferry crossings, churches, mills, stores, etc.

1864 Map of Mecklensburg, Brunswick and Greensville counties, Virginia

“S.l., Chief Engineers Office D.N.V., 1864”

Note: “Map from the Confederate Engineer Bureau in Richmond, Va. General J.F. Gilmer, Chief Engineer.” Presented to the Virginia Historical Society by his only daughter, Mrs. J.F. Minis, Sav[ana]h, Ga.”–Note on map. Forms part of the Gilmer Map Collection. Relief shown by hachures. Shows towns, waterways, roads, geographic features and land owners. Gift of Mrs. Louisa Porter (Gilmer) Minis (i.e., Mrs. J. F. Minis), Savannah, Ga., in 1911. Manuscripts o.s. Scale not given. MEDIUM 1 map : col. on linen ; 59 x 77 cm. REPRODUCTION NUMBER Map F232 M4 1864:1 REPOSITORY Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA DIGITAL ID gvhs01 vhs00356 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.ndlpcoop/gvhs01.vhs00356

1864 Map of the Vicinity of Petersburg, Virginia

Chief Engineer’s Office D.N.V. Major General J. Egilmer, Chief Engineer”  Made under the direction of A. H. Campbell, Captain, P.E. C.S.A.; In Charge Top’l Dep’t D.N.V.  Scale: 1/80,000

This large high resolution color map includes very detailed family land owners and place names.  

Preliminary map of a part of the south side of James River, Va.: from surveys and reconnaissances

Confederate States of America. Army of Northern Virginia. Engineer Office.Bien, Julius, 1826-1909.Campbell, Albert H. (Albert Henry), 1826-1899.Patton, J. H.

Note: “Includes Amelia, Chesterfield, Nottoway, Dinwiddie, Prince George, Surry, Sussex, Greensville, Southampton, Isle of Wight, Nansemond Counties.”-  “Julius Bien & Co. Lith. N.Y.”-  Inset: The battle-field of Chancellorsville, Va. 1867.-  Plate 93, map 1 from: Atlas to accompany the official records of the union and confederate armies, 1861-1865. Washington : GPO, 1891-1893.-  Shows roads, waterways, railroads, towns, buildings, land owners and geographical features.-  This item is in the Map Collection of the Library of Virginia; please contact the Library’s Archives Research Services department for more information.-  Swem, E.G. Maps relating to Virginia, 1152-  Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.-  c. 1 Oct. 1922, Mrs. Walter Watson, gift; c. 2 May 1962, LVA; Dec. 2003, Map Cataloging Team.-  Civil War project no.: lva00171.-  Conservation: copy 1 restored April 1963; Etherington Conservation Center, Oct. 2003.-  Copy 1 map accession no.: 1877 (1922); copy 2 map accession no. 1891 (1962), (negative photostat, on two sheets aprox. 49 x 46 cm.)